Online gaming has become an incredible source of revenue for many of the top tier gaming companies. Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG’s) are difficult to produce, balance and maintain, however they represent the possibility of a game which produces a constant stream of revenue as opposed to merely a one-time pay out. The benefit of this for the players is that as opposed to the designers making games whose appeal could die out quickly after the game was purchased, online games have to maintain a consistent and evolving standard of quality in order to build and maintain a healthy population of gamers. This is doubly true if they are charging a fee for the subscription.
The new MMORPG based on the DC Comics Universe will be heavily focused on action and combat, and will therefore place a heavy emphasis on the weapons of the combatants. Much like the online experience of other famous MMORPG’s, the DC Online Universe weapons and skills will be a big part of the players’ experience. DC Online Universe weapons will be in a considerable variety and be derived largely from the enormous pool of superheroes and super-villains who are listed as being characters in the game.
About a hundred different characters are listed as being part of the game, therefore the DC Online Universe weapons and skills will at the very least be derived from a healthy pool of existing comic book characters. This is a very encouraging sign for those who view looting and weapons as an important aspect of online gaming. With so many characters to choose from, DC Universe guides such as those available at http://www.dcuniverseonlineguide.com as well as specific guides such as the DC Universe guide to abilities over at http://www.dcuniverseguide.org/ are being sought out by gamers.
It would behoove the manufacturers of DC Online Universe to use their wide variety of characters (everyone from Superman to Swamp Thing) as inspiration for many weapons and skills. The DC Online Universe weapons should serve as source of strong appeal for people looking for a solid online action experience.
The author has been playing Champions Online and Star Trek Online. He now looks forward to a brand new superhero in DC Universe Online.
DC Universe CONFIRMED CHARACTERS (so far)
DC Universe CHARACTER CREATION & CUSTOMIZATION
DC Universe CONFIRMED CHARACTERS (so far)
* Adam Strange* Ambush Bug* Animal Man* Aquaman* Atom* Azrael* Batgirl* Batman* Bat-Mite* Batwoman* Beast Boy* Black Canary* Black Lightning* Blue Beetle* Booster Gold* Brainiac 5* Captain Atom* Captain Marvel* Congo Bill* Creeper* Cyborg* Doctor Fate* Etrigan the Demon* Fire* Firestorm* Flash* Grace* Green Arrow* Green Lantern* Hawkgirl* Hawkman* Huntress* Martian Manhunter* Metamorpho* Nightwing* Plastic Man* Power Girl* Question* Raven* Ravager* Red Tornado* Robin* Sgt. Rock* Spectre* Spy Smasher* Starfire* Supergirl* Superman* Tasmanian Devil* Vigilante* Vixen* Wildcat* Wonder Woman* Zatanna
* Ares* Bane* Batzarro* Bizarro* Black Adam* Black Manta* Black Mask* Blue Snowman* Brainiac* Captain Boomerang* Captain Cold* Catwoman* Cheetah* Cheshire* Circe* Clayface* Clock King* Cyborg Superman* Darkseid* Deathstroke* Doctor Poison* Doomsday* Firefly* General Zod* Gentleman Ghost* Gorilla Grodd* Hades* Harley Quinn* Heat Wave* Hush* Joker* Key* Killer Croc* Killer Frost* King Shark* Lex Luthor* Livewire* Mad Hatter* Man-Bat* Maxie Zeus* Merlyn* Metallo* Mongul* Mr. Freeze* Mr. Mxyzptlk* Mr. Zsasz* Ocean Master* Parasite* Penguin* Poison Ivy* Prankster* Prometheus* Ra’s al Ghul* Riddler* Scarecrow* Silver Banshee* Silver Swan* Sinestro* Solomon Grundy* Tattooed Man* Toyman* Trickster* Two-Face* Ultra-Humanite* Ultraman* Ventriloquist* Zoom
Starting out with your heroic or villainous career, you have the option to have your character created via ‘inspired by Signature Hero/Villain name here’. And the creator will make your character closest to the likeness of that hero or villain or for others, make your character from scratch.
Body types will be available. Body sizes range from “scout” (a slim, Robin-type male) and “sprite” (a similarly slight female) to “brick wall” (a solid slab of muscle) or the more exotic “freaker” (a gangly Joker-type).
You then choose a powerset (electrical, light, ice, etc.), a power source (eyes, hands, weapon, power ring), and movement enhancement (flight, speed, etc.)
Here is a list of known powers, sources, origin, and travel powers that will be in the game.
* Fire* Ice – Freeze your enemies in a block of ice or shoot ice at foes. etc.* Earth* Electric* Light (laser]* Mental (telekinesis, possibly telepathy)* Atomic (radiation)* Nature* Sorcery
Players will have a total of 8 powers with them at a time, the four main ones being active skills activated by use of the attack buttons. the four other powers being reactive or passive skills, from buffs to auto-blocking and auto-evasion.
These are where your powers come from.
* Eyes* Hands* Item (e.g. Ring)* Weapons(thrown weapons, pistols]* Feet
* Acrobatics – includes grappling hooks and gliders* Flight – flying and mid-air boosting* Superspeed – running fast and boosting
These are where your powers originate from.
* Magic* Meta* Tech
Tech nerd Read more from this author